Deputy Tax Collector
180 Main Street
South Berwick ME 03908
For questions and up-to-date information on Tax Bills, Payments, Balances, and the Tax Club, please use the email below. Our staff works in the office on a part-time basis, and we do our best to respond to all emails within 24 hours.
For questions regarding your Property Valuation and Exemptions, or to change your mailing address, please contact the Assessing Office.
2017-2018 Tax Year
Assessment Date: 4/1/17
Commitment Date: 8/8/17
Due Dates: 9/30/17 & 3/31/18
Tax Rate: $19/$1,000
Certified Ratio: 100%
Interest Rate: 7%
Abatement Deadline: 2/19/18
Outstanding Tax Balances and Assessing Data
Information regarding the property, values and exemptions are located at the top of the page.
Outstanding Tax Balances
Outstanding tax amounts can be found at the bottom of the page under the heading Tax Detail. If there is no Tax Detail section at the bottom, the property taxes have been paid in full. Original tax amounts can be found by viewing the tax bill, which can be found in the Tax Bills section below.
Tax bills for the 2016 tax year through the present are now available for viewing and printing from the PDF files found below. These files contain tax bills for all of the properties in South Berwick in a particular tax year. Because the documents are so large, we advise that you follow the directions below to locate and print your bill:
- Select the PDF for the tax year you would like to view or print.
- Hold down the Ctrl and the F key at the same time. The Find box will appear in the upper right corner.
- You may search by Name, Account Number, Address or Map-Lot.
- Once you have located the page you would like to print, right click on that page, and then select the Print option. Under Pages to Print, select CURRENT PAGE. Each PDF file contains roughly 3400 pages of tax bills that will print if you do not make this selection.
2017 Tax Bills
2016 Tax Bills
ONLINE TAX PAYMENTS
The link below will direct you to the Maine.gov website, which processes the Town’s online property tax payments. The initial screen will require you to select the City/Town your property is located in by using the drop down menu and selecting South Berwick Town Office. Follow the prompts for entering and completing your online payment.
If you are paying your tax bill using our online service, you will need the following information to do so:
- Tax Account Number -- This number is located just below the mailing address on your Tax Bill. A copy of your Tax Bill can be found on our website on the Tax Collection department page.
- Tax Amount Due* -- If you are making your payment on or before the due date, and you have not had any previous late payments, your amount due can be found on your Tax Bill. *Please contact our office for an accurate balance if you are making your payment after the due date, or if you have past-due amounts. Interest accrues daily on all past-due balances, and your tax account will not be paid in full if all amounts are not paid.
- Credit or Debit Card -- Please be aware that there are fees involved when paying your taxes with a credit card. The fee for each transaction varies depending on the amount of your payment. Transactions up to $40 have a $1 processing fee, while a transaction over $40 has a 2.5% processing fee. All fees are clearly displayed before completing the payment process, which gives you an opportunity to decide whether or not you would like to continue with your online payment. We are unable to process payments via electronic check at this time. As always, you can mail a check to Town of South Berwick, 180 Main Street, South Berwick, Maine 03908, or come visit us in the Business Office.
The South Berwick Town Council established the Tax Club program to allow property owners the option of paying their property taxes in eight equal payments, versus the standard two payments due on September 30 and March 31 of each year. The eight-month payment period runs from September through April, with payments being due by the 15th of the month.
In order to become a member of the Tax Club program, the Town must receive your completed application no later than August 30th of the respective tax year. Please read the Rules and Regulations located on the application carefully before signing. Applications should be mailed to: Heather Stanley, Town of South Berwick,180 Main Street, South Berwick, ME 03908. Please direct questions regarding the Tax Club to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 384-3036.
Tax Club Application