Public Hearing GA 08/05/2014
South Berwick Town Council
August 5, 2014
Chairman Gerald W. MacPherson, Sr. called the meeting to order at 7:21pm. Councilors present included Jean Demetracopoulos, David H. Webster, and John C. Kareckas. Town Manager Perry Ellsworth was also in attendance. Councilor Russell Abell and Town Clerk Barbara Bennett were not present.
Approval of Minutes
1. Public Hearing – MWG Pizza liquor 07-22-14: On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. Webster, it was unanimously voted to adopt the minutes as written.
2. Council 07-22-14: On a motion by Mr. Webster, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to adopt the minutes as written.
1. On a motion by Mr. Webster, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to sign the warrant dated July 31, 2014 in the amount of $725,377.06. Mrs. Demetracopoulos made note that the warrant included our $611,389.62 monthly payment to the school.
Town Manager’s Report
Agamenticus is going well and should be finished this week.
Minor work remains to finish Ogunquit Road.
We will get to the Shorey’s Brook Bridge in early September.
Route 101 will be closed for 2 weeks beginning August 7th.
-Wednesday the 20th there is a meeting with the school board here at 8:30am.
-Trying to set up a meeting for Mr. MacPherson & Mr. Webster with the Eliot Selectmen on the 20th or 21st. Still trying to schedule a meeting with Berwick for Mr. Kareckas and Mr. Abell.
-York Ambulance seems to be working well so far.
-Will be out on Friday, back on Monday, then out the rest of the week for the Town Manager’s Conference.
-Seacoast Energy Initiative (SEI) Grant work has “been a bear”. Plans are to charge some of his time back to the grant. South Berwick’s project for solar panels at the library has been awarded to Revision.
-Attended an open house in Portland for Avesta’s newest project. Our project should get started in November. It should go out to bid shortly with construction throughout the winter. A tentative move in date would be around June/July. The footpath from the library to Central School will be closed during construction.
-He and Jon St. Pierre visited the old state highway garage on Route 236 to determine if it would work for our maintenance facility.
1. On a motion by Mr. Webster, seconded by Mr. Kareckas, it was unanimously voted to adopt the updated appendices A of the General Assistance Ordinance for the period of July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2015.
2. On a motion by Mr. Kareckas, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to accept the $1,697 Grant from the Strawberry Festival Committee for the Recreation Department to purchase a 15’x8’ storage shed and authorize Sharon Brassard to execute the necessary agreement.
Council Member Comments
1. Mrs. Demetracopoulos:
-Wanted to make clear that the Road Acceptance Ordinance is a separate ordinance from the Subdivision Ordinance that includes road standards.
-Encouraged everyone to support York Ambulance.
2. Mr. MacPherson:
-Also encouraged everyone to support York Ambulance.
3. Mr. Kareckas:
-Provided the Town Manager with a reference sheet for Robert’s Rules. Commented that it might be handy to have on the table.
On a motion by Mr. Kareckas, seconded by Mr. Webster, it was unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 7:40pm.
Barbara Bennett, CCM
The Clerk typed these minutes after reviewing the video recording of the meeting.