Town Council Minutes 02/11/2014
South Berwick Town Council
February 11, 2014
Vice-Chairman David H. Webster called the meeting to order at 6:30pm. Councilors present included Jean Demetracopoulos, and John C. Kareckas. Town Manager Perry Ellsworth was also in attendance. Gerald W. MacPherson, Sr. and Russell H. Abell were not present.
Approval of Minutes
1. Town Council 1-28-14: On a motion by Mr. Kareckas, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to adopt the minutes as written.
Treasurer’s Warrant – Feb 11, 2014
On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. Kareckas, it was unanimously voted to sign the warrant in the amount of $705,851.92.
Reports & Presentations
Robin Kerr of the Mount Agamenticus Conservation Program presented the 2013 Stewardship Summary Report. Ms. Kerr gave a brief history of the area and the efforts made to increase conservation over the last decade. Trail development, remediation and maintenance make up a large part of the work.
Town Manager’s Report
-Commented that some issues have arisen regarding the sale of land to Great Works Regional Land Trust. There are some title issues, however, we could move forward with the other piece.
-The restoration of $40 million in Revenue Sharing has passed another hurdle at the Senate level. The legislation could still be vetoed by the Governor.
-Reminded everyone of the meeting Wednesday morning with Eliot and the SAD Board.
-Budget work is progressing; reports should be available on time.
-Reminded everyone of the 200th Anniversary kick-off at the library on Wednesday evening.
1. On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. Kareckas, it was unanimously voted to amend the Purchase and Sale Agreement with Avesta Housing by extending the nonrefundable deposit date in item #8a to February 1, 2015 and extending the latest closing date in item #11 to August 31, 2015.
2. Mr. Ellsworth explained that things are going well in regard to the recent OSHA inspection. We have or are addressing everything in the citation. Some manuals need updating; and that will be done. He added that he is confident that the fine of $4250 may be reduced or waived in light of our quick response to correcting the deficiencies.
1. On a motion by Mr. Kareckas, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to sign the release deed for James Turner, Map 2 Lot 46. [All taxes have been paid through March 31, 2014]
2. On a motion by Mr. Kareckas, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to authorize the Town Manager to represent the Town for purposes of collective bargaining with the South Berwick Police Association.
Council Member Comments
1. Mrs. Demetracopoulos:
-Reminded everyone of the 200th Anniversary Celebration at the library on Wednesday. She added that it would have been nice to have a big celebration; however, in these economic times it is important to hold to the budget passed at Town Meeting. There will be many opportunities throughout the year to participate in various activities run by volunteer groups.
-Stated that she hopes something can be done about the safety issue on Route 236.
2. Mr. Kareckas:
-Commented that it would be interesting to know what people were thinking this night 200 years ago (the eve before officially becoming a Town). It should be a nice celebration at the library on Wednesday to kick the anniversary year off. He thanked the Clerk for obtaining some of the information he’ll use for his part at the ceremony.
3. Mr. Webster:
-Commented that he walked through the Town Forest recently. It looks very different now that trees have been cut.
On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. Kareckas, it was unanimously voted to table the executive session until the next meeting when a full board will be present.
On a motion by Mr. Kareckas, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 7:33pm.
Barbara Bennett, CCM