Town Council Minutes 03/25/2014
South Berwick Town Council
March 25, 2014
Chairman Gerald W. MacPherson, Sr. called the meeting to order at 7:38pm. Councilors present included Jean Demetracopoulos, David H. Webster, John C. Kareckas, and Russell H. Abell. Town Manager Perry Ellsworth was also in attendance.
Approval of Minutes
1. Board of Assessors 3-11-14: On a motion by Mr. Webster, seconded by Mr. Kareckas, it was unanimously voted to adopt the minutes as written.
2. Council 3-11-14: On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. Webster, it was unanimously voted to adopt the minutes as written.
Treasurer’s Warrant – Mar 25, 2014
1. On a motion by Mr. Abell, seconded by Mr. Kareckas, it was unanimously voted to sign the warrant in the amount of $155,621.52.
Town Manager’s Report
-Attended the meeting with the MDOT to review the revised plans for the Vine St/Route 236 Intersection. The DOT is willing to reduce the speed limit from 45mph to 35mph. They will also be adding dividers and moving the entrances to Academy Street and Vine Street. An upcoming meeting is planned with the school to discuss the steps necessary to make the area a “school zone”; which would slow the speed to 15mph.
-The Legislature is moving forward with its fiscal plan for 14/15. Pine Tree Zone businesses will be receiving a reduced sales tax incentive.
-Asked everyone to report any flooding issues that arise.
-The new Police Cruiser should be on the road in the next week.
-The Public Works Union has decertified.
1. On a motion by Mr. Kareckas, seconded by Mr. Abell, it was unanimously voted to adopt the FY 2015 Budget and schedule a public hearing for Tuesday, April 8th at 6:30pm.
2. The Council discussed the proposed changes to Sections 102-3 & 102-5 of the Planned Growth Ordinance. Members of the Planning Board and Lee Jay Feldman were present to answer questions. The zoning districts to be included and the areas that have existing water, sewer, and public road access were agreed upon. Mr. Feldman made several changes to the proposed document for presentation at the public hearing.
On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. Webster, it was unanimously voted to hold a public hearing on Tuesday, April 22nd at 6:30pm to receive comment on the proposed amendments to the Planned Growth Ordinance, Sections 102-3 & 102-5.
3. On a motion by Mr. Kareckas, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to accept the ATV Enforcement Grant in the amount of $3,000.
4. On a motion by Mr. Webster, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to approve the Solid Waste Hauler License for Shipyard Waste Solutions through March 31, 2015.
5. On a motion by Mr. Abell, seconded by Mr. Kareckas, it was unanimously voted to authorize the Manager to sign the Purchase and Sale Agreement with Great Works Regional Land Trust for the sale of lots designated as Tax Map 2 Lots 39 and 39A.
6. On a motion by Mr. Kareckas, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to sign the amendments to the Town Manager’s contract. The increases include amendment #6 Term, #7 Compensation, #8 Phone Allowance, and #9 Fringe Benefits – retirement.
Council Member Comments
1. Mr. Abell:
-Thanked the Council & Manager for donating a silent auction item to the DIVA Night fundraiser.
-Thanked Mr. Webster for helping at the DIVA Night.
2. Mr. Webster:
-Commented that he had a good time at the DIVA Night.
3. Mrs. Demetracopoulos:
-Commented that “part of the goal is better than none” referring to the changes proposed for the Vine St/Route 236 intersection, including the reduction in the speed limit
On a motion by Mr. Kareckas, seconded by Mr. Abell, it was unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 8:24pm.
Barbara Bennett, CCM