Town Council Minutes 10/22/2013
South Berwick Town Council
October 22, 2013
The Manager reported the following to the Clerk:
Chairman Gerald W. MacPherson, Sr. called the meeting to order at 6:05pm. Councilors present included Jean Demetracopoulos, David H. Webster, and Russell H. Abell. Town Manager Perry Ellsworth was also in attendance. Mr. Kareckas arrived late.
1. On a motion by Mr. Webster, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to enter executive session at 6:05pm pursuant to 1MRSA §405.6A to conduct committee candidate interviews.
On a motion by Mr. Webster, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to end the executive at 6:32pm.
On a motion by Mr. Webster, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to recess the meeting at 6:32pm to accommodate a scheduled public hearing.
The Council meeting reconvened at 6:40pm with the Clerk present.
Approval of Minutes
1. Council 10-08-13: On a motion by Mr. Kareckas, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to adopt the minutes as written.
Treasurer’s Warrant – Oct 22, 2013
On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. Abell, it was unanimously voted to sign the warrant in the amount of $176,165.07.
Reports & Correspondence
1. Staff from Senator Collins’ office will be here on November 4th from 11:30-12:30 to meet with anyone with questions or concerns for the Senator.
2. Letters have been sent to plot holders in the Community Garden reminding them that their plots should be cleaned up by October 31st.
3. The Halloween Parade will step off from the Fire Station on Norton Street at 5:30pm on Wednesday, October 30th.
4. The Marshwood Middle School Veteran’s Day Celebration will be held on November 8th.
5. Mr. MacPherson read a letter from the Maine Town, City & County Management Association thanking the Council for nominating Manager Ellsworth for the Manager of the year. Mr. Ellsworth was not selected for the award.
6. Mr. Kareckas made note of the Unitil Annual Gas Emergency Preparedness Meeting on November 12th in Portland.
Town Manager’s Report
-Informed everyone that the center line rumple strip has been installed on Route 4.
-There will be a Building Committee workshop on October 23rd at 6:30pm in the Manager’s office.
-Still working on the Beaver problem on Pond Road.
-The MDOT will be holding a public hearing on Friday, November 8th regarding the Shorey’s Brook culvert. The time has not been confirmed.
-P. Gagnon and Son has been awarded the fuel bid (7000 gallons) for the Town Hall & General Assistance at $3.339/gal.
-Zoning: A public hearing date will be set at the next Council meeting for Mobile Vending or Business Directional Signs.
-The new General Assistance Administrator will start November 1st, Bridget will remain as backup.
1. On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. Abell, it was unanimously voted to adopt the amendments to section 130-13 of the Vehicles and Traffic Ordinance (by deleting the weight restrictions on the Hooper Mill, Great Hill, Bennett, and Rodier Bridges) as presented.
1. On a motion by Mr. Kareckas, seconded by Mr. Webster, it was unanimously voted to appoint Manley Gove, Sr. to the Planning Board as an alternate, with a term to expire June 30, 2016. Mrs. Demetracopoulos abstained from voting.
On a motion by Mr. Webster, seconded by Mr. Abell, it was unanimously voted to appoint Paul Steinhauer to the Planning Board with a term to expire June 30, 2016.
2. The Council discussed the request for storage space from the South Berwick Community Chorus. Bill Straub explained that they are currently storing their sheet music in the basement of Mr. Moon’s home. Mr. Straub stated that the Chorus would like to utilize space in the Library basement. The Chorus would purchase shelving and assume all liability for the storage, safety, and maintenance. He added that the Chorus would also like to make the sheet music available for lending to others.
General consensus was to authorize the Manager to move forward with the request. A legal agreement will be needed.
Council Member Comments
1. Mrs. Demetracopoulos:
-Made note that she removed several signs from the Memorial Island. She asked that signs not be placed on the Island out of respect for our veterans.
2. Mr. Webster:
-Wished Councilors Kareckas and Abell good luck at the upcoming election.
3. Mr. Kareckas:
-Stated that it has been his pleasure to serve on the Council for the last 3 years.
4. Mr. Abell:
-Commented that he had attended the Marshwood Education Foundation fundraiser this past weekend. The Foundation raised about $14,000 for grants to be awarded next fall to teachers who have innovative ideas to improve and enhance the learning environment for students in the Marshwood system.
5. Mr. MacPherson:
-Asked if any signs with identifying information (such as yard sales) are taken back to or a note sent to the sign owners asking that they not be placed on the Memorial Island in the future. Mr. Ellsworth stated that he did not know if this is being done, but something should be.
Mr. Ellsworth reminded everyone of the regional meeting on October 30th at 7:30pm. It was originally scheduled to meet in Berwick, but may be moved here.
On a motion by Mr. Kareckas, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 7:24pm.
Barbara Bennett, CCM