Town Council Minutes 11/10/2014
South Berwick Town Council
November 10, 2014
Senior member Jean Demetracopoulos called the meeting to order at 6:30pm. Councilors present included John C. Kareckas, Russell H. Abell, Laura Leber, and John James. Town Manager Perry Ellsworth was also in attendance.
1. The Clerk administered the oath of office to Councilors Elect Leber and James.
2. On a nomination by Mr. Abell, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to elect John Kareckas as Chairman for the ensuing year.
On a nomination by Mrs. Leber, seconded by Mr. James, it was unanimously voted to elect Jean Demetracopoulos as Vice-Chairman for the ensuing year.
3. On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. Abell, it was unanimously voted to adopt Robert’s Rules of Order as the rules for conducting meetings.
4. On a motion by Mr. Abell, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to sign the Treasurer’s Disbursement Warrants for Employee Wages & Benefits
Approval of Minutes
1. Council 10-28-14: On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. Abell, it was voted 4-0 to adopt the minutes as written. Mrs. Leber abstained.
1. On a motion by Mr. Abell, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was voted 4-0 to sign the warrant dated November 6, 2014 in the amount of $705,473.01. Mrs. Leber abstained.
1. Legislative District 2 Representative Roberta “Bobbi” Beavers presented former Councilor Gerald MacPherson, Sr. and Town Manager Perry Ellsworth with Legislative Sentiments for their commitment to the community and leadership, respectively.
2. Manley Gove, Dennett Rd, congratulated the newly elected councilors. Mr. Gove also expressed his concerns with potential conflicts of interest that Councilors Kareckas and Demetracopoulos may have in regard to their involvement with the Great Works Regional Land Trust.
Town Manager’s Report
-He confirmed that the Town owns the road into the Town Forest. He referenced a document from the former town attorney to the former town manager (Dick Brown).
-The Veteran’s Day ceremony was today at town hall, not tomorrow.
-Fireworks will be on the next agenda.
-SEI Grant – using remaining funds for lighting upgrades in several town buildings. Some streetlights will be upgraded with LED’s. Approximately $3000 is left and is billable to cover the Manager’s time.
-The annual audit is complete and he has signed off on it. The general fund balance is up.
-Documentation for the sale of land to Avesta will be on the next agenda. He suggested holding a workshop on the 18th to go over everything. A special town meeting may be necessary for the disposition of the $152,000 (approx.) from the sale. Mr. Ellsworth suggested that it be used to pay down the bond instead of just going into the general fund.
-Work on Ogunquit Road is almost complete.
-The Shorey’s Brook Bridge project is complete, with a direct cost to each town of $65,000. He recommended that the extra funds we budgeted for the project ($35,000) be used for additional work on Oldfields Road.
-There will be a parking stakeholder meeting on November 19th from 7:00-8:00am. There is also a meeting with the school board at 8:00am.
-Ransom Engineering will be doing an environmental study of the police station on November 19th.
-The steeple work at the library is almost complete. Mechanical Services noise has decreased, but there is still a pump to be replaced. The library construction account will be closed out by November 30th as discussed.
-Plans to attend the next MMA Legislative Policy Committee meeting on Thursday. The major topics for discussion will be revenue sharing and school funding.
Council Member Comments
1. Mr. James:
-Stated that he was “glad to be here” and it is an honor to serve.
-Thanked the voters for their support.
2. Mr. Abell:
-Congratulated the new members on their election to the Council.
-Commented that he attended the amazing Veteran’s Day celebration at the middle school on November 6th.
-Congratulated Jack and Jean on their election to chair and vice-chair, respectively.
3. Mrs. Leber:
-Stated that she is “happy to be here and is open to all suggestions.”
4. Mrs. Demetracopoulos:
-She thanked the new members for their willingness to participate in the process.
-She stated that she and Mr. Kareckas would be attending the Planning Board meeting to discuss the road ordinance changes. She asked for and received Council consensus to ask the Planning Board to review of the sign ordinance also.
5. Mr. Kareckas:
-He welcomed the new members. He also gave an overview of the agenda process.
-He provided a list of items for discussion points. They included new member training, FOAA (Freedom of Access Act), NIMS (Nat’l Incident Management System), Town Charter review, active and less active “on the list” items, and communications with and amongst other governmental bodies.
On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. Abell, it was unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 7:43pm.
Barbara Bennett, CCM