Town Council Minutes 12/23/2014
South Berwick Town Council
December 23, 2014
Chairman John C. Kareckas called the meeting to order at 6:32pm. Councilors present included Jean Demetracopoulos, and Russell H. Abell. Town Manager Perry Ellsworth was also in attendance. Laura Leber and John James were not present.
Approval of Minutes
1. Public Hearing – Zoning- 12-10-14: On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. James, it was unanimously voted to adopt the minutes after amending them to include Chairman Kareckas’ reference to the Council’s authority as stated in the Charter Article 2, Section 3, Subsection VI and Section 11.
2. Council 12-10-14: On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. James, it was unanimously voted to adopt the minutes as written.
1. On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. James, it was unanimously voted to sign the warrant dated December 18, 2014 in the amount of $226,045.58.
Reports & Presentations
1. York Ambulance update: Eric Bakke and several other York Ambulance board members were present. Mr. Bakke explained that the Service and the Town entered into a contract in July and the transition went better than expected. There is now 24/7 coverage and Rollinsford is committed to moving forward with its partnership. Relations have improved with York Hospital, Wentworth-Douglass Hospital and American Ambulance. An advisory panel, including the three towns, is being formed. A wheelchair van is now available for transports.
The Town has not had any complaints or concerns from residents due to the change over from the old South Berwick Rescue.
Town Manager’s Report
-A collaboration meeting with two of the Berwick Selectmen has been scheduled for December 30th here in South Berwick. (Jack and John to attend)
-Commented that he hopes everyone will be available for a special meeting on January 6th to go over his review.
-The highway crew is still cleaning up after the Thanksgiving storm.
-A workshop will be needed to discuss the disposition of the $152,000 proceeds from the sale to Avesta. Consensus was to hold a workshop on January 13, 2015 at 6:00pm.
-All of the completed Avesta paperwork is on file. The groundbreaking ceremony went well. The footers are in and the foundation work has begun.
-The final paperwork for the Seacoast Energy Initiative Grant is complete.
-The lighting in the PD has all been upgraded with LED’s.
-The Ransom Environmental study is complete and shows that there is no asbestos or mold in the Police Department.
-Things are progressing at the ‘Day’ property regarding the asbestos removal. It may come down this winter.
-Merry Christmas to all.
1. The Council discussed the request for a liquor license by Rob Miller of El Sobos Tacos. Mr. Kareckas made note that several items on the application are not completed. Mr. James noted that item 19 is incorrect; the business is within 300’ of a school/church. Mrs. Demetracopoulos stated that since it is a state application, it is up to the state to determine if the application is sufficient.
On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. James, it was unanimously voted to approve the liquor license for El Sobos Tacos.
2. On a motion by Mr. James, seconded by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, it was unanimously voted to approve the Solid Waste Hauler license for Dorado Services through November 30, 2015.
3. The Manager presented the Council with his tentative budget schedule.
4. The Council agreed to schedule a special meeting on January 6th to discuss the Manager’s performance evaluation.
Council Member Comments
1. Mr. James:
-Wished everyone a Merry Christmas and safe travels.
2. Mrs. Demetracopoulos:
-Asked if the York County Advocacy Group had discussed revenue sharing at its last meeting. Mr. Ellsworth stated that the Group always discusses revenue sharing. She added that she approached Representatives Eves and Beavers in regard to a regional meeting to discuss the impact the loss of revenue sharing has had on past and future projects, especially roads.
-Made note that the Mt. A Steering Committee received a $5,000 grant. She hopes that our rep John Branagan will remain active with the conservation efforts.
-Thanked Craig the Assessing Agent for providing the Council with an Assessing handbook.
-Down East Magazine did a nice write-up on Thistle Pig Restaurant.
-Encouraged the Chair to contact the Historic District Commission to set up a workshop in early January to discuss the proposed changes to the Historic District Ordinance.
3. Mr. Kareckas:
-Avesta groundbreaking went great. He thanked the staff for making some last minute adjustments.
-Wished everyone a Merry Christmas.
1. On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. James, it was unanimously voted to enter executive session at 7:17pm pursuant to 1MRSA §405.6C, to discuss real estate/economic development.
The following was reported to the Clerk:
On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. James, it was unanimously voted to end the executive session at 7:46pm.
On a motion by Mrs. Demetracopoulos, seconded by Mr. James, it was unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 7:46pm.
Barbara Bennett, CCM