SCHEDULING WEDNESDAY MORNING APPOINTMENTS 8:30-11:30.
Dawn Moreau General Assistance Administrator
Phone: (207) 384-3040 - Please leave a message
Town Hall 180 Main Street - 2ND FLOOR OFFICE NEXT TO ELEVATOR
South Berwick, Maine 03908
General Assistance Applications are processed by appointment only.
GA Appointments are available on Wednesday mornings only.
Appointment times are available 8:30-11:30AM. Please call to schedule an appointment with Dawn Moreau
EMERGENCY AFTER HOURS CALL: South Berwick Police Department
NOTE: Emergency calls only. Meaning a serious event that would cause undue hardship as a result of circumstances that were unavoidable or unforseeable and it cannot wait until normal business hours.
207-384-2254 x1 FOR DISPATCH
The Town's General Assistance Administrator works with residents to determine if they qualify for General Assistance. Assistance is provided by voucher. Seeking and obtaining employment will be a requirement for all applicants who are able to work.
QUALIFIED SOUTH BERWICK RESIDENTS are eligible to receive help with basic necessities such as food, rent utilities, fuel oil etc., as defined by local ordinance and state statue, M.R.S.A. 22, part 5, Chapter 1161. You can reference, by clicking ORDINANCE for more information. The General Assistance Program is a State mandated, municipally administered assistance program. It is designed to be the program of "last resort".
PLEASE NOTE: As of February 3, 2014 GA clients will be required to access the Electronic Verification System in order to provide income and benefit information.
ALL CLIENTS MUST LOG ONTO THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE: https://www1.maine.gov/benefits/account/login.html
This is your online connection to Food Supplement, Health Care, Cash Assistance and/or Child Care. To apply for benefits or re-certify your eligibility clients must sign up for an account. If you already have an account, sign in with your Username and Password. The GA Administrator will need the information from the DHHS Summary page to determine a client’s eligibility for General Assistance. Please print out this information and bring it with you to your appointment.
FIRST TIME APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO BRING THE FOLLOWING:
- PROOF OF ALL HOUSEHOLD INCOME FOR THE PAST 30 DAYS - including paystubs, TANF, SSI & SSDI
- PROOF OF CURRENT EXPENSES - most recent bills and/or other proof of expenses
- COPY OF CURRENT BANK STATEMENT(S) - Financial statements from all bank accounts
- NAME AND ADDRESS OF CURRENT LANDLORD AND COPY OF LEASE (if rental assistance)
- DRIVERS LICENSE OR OTHER IDENTIFICATION OF YOUSELF
- SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER(S) - of all household members
- Copy of DHHS Summary Sheet from My Maine Connection
An applicant should not expect to be granted assistance at the first appointment. Other documentation and/or verifications may be identified during the first appointment and are required prior to a final determination.
Repeat applicants are required to bring all of the above in addition to receipts to prove how all income from the past 30 days was spent. Any funds spent on items not considered basic necessities will be considered misspent and added back to the applicants 30 day income as a penalty. Misspent income includes, but is not limited to: cigarettes, alcohol, pet food, gifts, credit card payments, cable TV and phone (unless medically require.
Any person who knowingly and willfully makes any written or oral false statement of a material fact to the administrator for the purpose of causing himself/herself to be granted assistance will be ineligible for assistance for a period of 120 days and may be prosecuted for committing a Class E crime, which carries a penalty of up to $1000.00 fine and one year in jail . (22 M.R.S.A. CHAPTER 4315).
This program is funded by local property taxes with a 70% reimbursement from the state.
- South Berwick Community Food Pantry: South Berwick is fortunate to have a Food Pantry for the benefit of our residents. In order to determine if you qualify to use the food pantry, please make an appointment to determine eligibility through General Assistance BY CALLING THE GENERAL ASSISTANCE ADMINISTRATOR AT 384-3040. The Food Pantry is managed by a group of dedicated volunteers and operates as a program of SoBo Central. This is not a Town function. Income verification is confirmed by the General Assistance Administrator solely to maintain client confidentiality.
- LiHEAP Fuel Assistance: To apply, call 324-5762, Option 1 to schedule your appointment or online at www.yccac.org. If you wish to apply in South Berwick you need to specify South Berwick when you call. Appointments fill up quickly, please do not delay if you believe you will need assistance this year.
- Keep South Berwick Warm Fund: This annual fundraiser provides a one time (100 gallons) fuel delivery to those residents who do not qualify for General Assistance, but are still found to have significant need. These funds are not available for disbursement until November 1st. To apply for these funds, the applicant must first apply for General Assistance with the Town's General Assistance Administrator. This fund is a program of SoBo Central.
- Property Tax Fairness Credit: The Maine Residents Property Tax and Rent Refund “Circuit breaker” Program has been repealed as part of the enacted state budget for claims beginning on or after August 1, 2013. The Circuit breaker Program has been replaced by a refundable Property Tax Fairness Credit that can be claimed on the Maine Individual Income Tax Form. The new credit will be available beginning in January, 2014 on the 2013 Maine Individual Income Tax Form 1040ME. A worksheet will be included with Form 1040ME to calculate the amount of the credit. For further information, click on the link. http://ptla.org/print/22307